THIS COURSE WILL BE TAUGHT ONLINE IN THE WISE 2020/21. THEREFORE,
PARTICIPATION IN WEEKLY WEBINARS AND SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF WEEKLY
ONLINE ASSIGNMENTS REQUIRES A STABLE INTERNET CONNECTION, A
LAPTOP/TABLET AND READINESS TO ADAPT TO THE WEB-BASED TEACHING/LEARNING
These seminars are taught in tandem by a state school teacher and a tutor from the university. A focus is placed on both the theory and practice of language teaching.
This course is designed as an introduction to and a preparation for the English Teaching Practice in the summer term 2021.
We’ll touch on
- key elements of the Common European Framework of Reference (CEF), the German Bildungsstandards and the relevant Kerncurricula
- communicative, action-oriented, task- and content- based theories of foreign language teaching
- key issues, approaches and buzz words for modern teaching in general and foreign language teaching in particular
- the development and design of competence-oriented language teaching
We’ll introduce and discuss
- the choice of material, methodological considerations, the description of difficulties, the relevance of topics and exercises and the evaluation of the lesson outcome
- basic elements of English lessons (predictable outcome, warming up, input, receptive/productive skill training, language practice, presentations and evaluation etc.)
- various elements of language assessment in general and examples of the current external, written and oral examinations in particular
We shall choose and practice exercises, action-oriented activities and tasks for communicative language teaching.
We shall plan lessons and try to teach them in the classroom.