Course book (focus on chapters 1,2,3,4.1,4.2,4.3):
- Särndal, C.-E., Swensson, B. & Wretmann, J. (1992). Model Assisted Survey Sampling. Springer.
- Fuller, W.A. (2009). Sampling Statistics. Wiley.
- Thompson, S.K. (2012). Sampling. Third edition. Wiley.
- Tille, Y. (2006). Sampling Algorithms. Springer.
- Tille, Y. (2020). Sampling And Estimation From Finite Populations. Wiley.
The course gives an introduction to the statistical theory and methods for sample surveys based on probability sampling. Some elementary sampling designs are presented and their statistical and mathematical implications are discussed. The treated sampling designs include:
- Bernoulli Sampling, Simple Random Sampling, Systematic Sampling, Poisson Sampling, Probability Proportional-to-Size Sampling, Stratified Sampling, Cluster Sampling.
Data related problems and examples are illustrated with short Python scripts (NumPy, pandas, matplotlib, SciPy, statsmodels).