Starting from the concrete question of the social form and communicative operation mode of internet platforms, empirical methods and research techniques for the investigation of online platforms are taught in the seminar.
Part A: Initial questions
(1) What is (digital) communication?
(2) How are internet platforms socially structured? Which interaction and communication formats do they allow?
(3) How does this affect communication on platforms?
(4) How can this be observed?
Part B: Methodological approaches
(5) Qualitative/interpretative methods for the study of multimodal symbolic artefacts on online platforms: Image, music, text comments, emoticons,...
(6) Corpus linguistic analyses of websites and internet comments (e.g. dictionary analyses)
(7) Natural Language Processing (NLP, such as Topic Modelling, S-Bert...)
Part C: Own testing of analysis programmes
(8) MAXQDA (for qualitative research)
(9) MAXQDA or CQP and others for dictionary analyses
(10) Tools for NLP
(11) Testing and completion of own small analysis project